Monday, September 10, 2012

Summer Reading Response

        Over the summer I read Night Work by Thomas Glavinic. One of the main features was symbolism. Everything Jonas does throughout the story can be looked at in a different way and using that you can really go deeper into everything he does, and thinks. The most important one was a pebble in the last scene. He's standing on a cliff and he kicks a pebble off, and he knows he'll never be able to find Maria and he should just give up, and I think that the pebble he kicked off symbolized his old life. He threw it away and it fell down the cliff and yes, he could've gone back and looked for it but no matter how long he searched he would never be able to find the pebble, similarly to how he lost his old life as he searched for Maria, and he knows he can never get his old life, one, because everyone is dead (including Maria) and two, he destroyed everything he has to search for her. I wish he hadn't wasted his life searching for her because he could've attempted to enjoy himself with all the free stuff he could ever want but initially he was trapped. He could drive wherever but other than that he felt that everything was futile, and I still believe he could've done more than to kick his life and the pebble off the cliff. I think the only right decision he made was stepping off the cliff after the pebble, knowing he had nothing to live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment