Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Healing Nurse

The character in Romeo and Juliet that I found most interesting is the Nurse. I picked the Nurse because I saw her as sort of an impartial healing source in the middle of Romeo and Juliet because she loves them both, and wants the best for them. Because the Nurse loves them both so much she's willing to help them both and is with them in difficult times.

In all of Act 3 Scene 2 as Juliet processes her complicated feelings about Romeo killing Tybalt, the Nurse is there to help Juliet to understand. I noticed that at no point in the scene does the Nurse blatantly share her opinion on the situation. The Nurse never came to Juliet and started telling her that Romeo is a horrible man and that she should leave him and let him be banished, but I felt like by not sharing a strong opinion she was sending a slight message of forgiveness and acceptance. In Act 3 Scene 2 line 78 the Nurse says "It did, it did, alas the day, it did." (Saying that Romeo did in fact kill Tybalt). I thought this line showed the Nurse being slightly upset, but still the Nurse wants the best for Juliet and wouldn't lie to her. I thought the Nurse was upset because she didn't know how Juliet would respond to this and because she only wants the best for Juliet, was sad to be the one to tell her the news that might end up splitting them apart.

I think the Nurse in this scene plays a sort of bearer of bad news. I think the Nurse, when given this responsibility is saddened by one, the fact that Tybalt is dead and two, that she has to be the one who will have to make Juliet initially sad by giving her the news. This topic definitely extends to school because at one point or another I've had to tell my parents that I didn't do so great on a test, in which case I'm the bearer of bad news. I think this is different because it's usually my own fault for forgetting to study, and I have to deliver the news about myself and what I did, versus the Nurse delivering news to Juliet about what her husband did. I think these two are really different because it's easier to tell someone what someone else did when you're not involved in the slightest and can't be held accountable.

4 comments:

  1. I like your point and I see what you mean. Nice post, Jack. I now realize how much easier these comments are when you have read the book that the person who is posting is reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that you picked the nurse to think about as an interesting character!


    I feel pike nurse was a good character she was the one that symbolized humor and knowledge. she was the one who was thinking straight while Juliet was freaking out. Also as a character she is really strong!
    Great Blog post Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, interesting choice! I agree with you that the Nurse does seem to genuinely care for both Juliet and Romeo. She always seems to be on the "good side" and helps them out. Even though she's an older character, she still doesn't tell the parents and respects Juliet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you chose the nurse to write about. It is a very interesting choice. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete